Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Book 127: Walter Baran: Feet First: A Memoir

I like Google Books. You can search for everything and often even have a very large preview. And even with a snippet view you can search a book for words. Often, at least one edition has a preview. But there's also a con, as you find too much when searching for "overalls" and that also has a different meaning. So I had searched for other keywords like coveralls, one-room schoolhouse, farm overalls, etc. Now the time search also works, but you find very few recent publications (5 pages, <50 books in the last 2 years and most of them are poor).

Recently, I've searched for "tobacco juice" after having found it in "Christy". I almost have finished that. There are mean boys spitting out tobacco juice. So I found this and other books.

This 2003 book has 2 kids, maybe girls in bibs on the cover and 5 mentionings of overalls. Many, very short chapters, covering different time settings, 1900s but I think mainly the 1930s. Obviously most don't like wearing overalls. A boy was instructed by his mom to unbuckle the straps and put down the bib for the school photograph. A girl had to wear her brother's overalls and hoped not to be seen by others she know.  And at the first work, one had to wear the worst overalls and shirt he hates.

I haven't read all of it. Probably also lots of other interesting stories. Farm memoirs are the best. Also photos, but I haven't found one showing bibs. Most modern books are also available as ebook. And cheaper. You don't have to wait and no shipping costs and custom fees. I still have much to read, especially digital books.

I also have added the 2015 lost comment of The Waltons barefoot list

https://biboverallsfilms.blogspot.com/2011/07/info-64-barefoot-movies-list.html

No comments: