Friday, December 23, 2022

Book 121: Catherine Marshall: Christy

I recently bought 2 books. First: De rode zwaan (movie rating 10). I have read most of it, but no mentioning of bibs, yet. I think I have read the book before and bought it twice by mistake. Quite good fantasy book (grandfather/grandson relation and girl friend, but the movie is obviously better.

I also bought the novel Christy (series rating 7, there are also 3 movies, rating 3, 4 and 5). The German translation has 448 pages and I just have read the beginning. A Christian novel and romance about a 19 yo female teacher set in 1912. There are 8 mentionings of bibs  on Google Books (mainly men). One scene was very interesting: "He seemed a reincarnation of what Tom Sawyer have looked like: overalls... bare feet, tousled hair, lots of freckles, two front teeth missing. It was his too-straight face that tipped me off."

There are also other, thinner books, including a 15 part book series and maybe sequels and also abridged books.

Female teachers are probably better and more interesting than strict male teachers (at least in those days). Female teachers were also shown in The Waltons and Little House on the Prairie (see those posts).

I have some more good pics, better do a blog search (Christy).

I still haven't finished "Where the Red Fern Grows". And I also have to read many digital books including all of The Sugar Creek Gang. But I prefer reading physical books.

https://biboverallsfilms.blogspot.com/2020/04/christy-1994.html

https://biboverallsfilms.blogspot.com/2017/10/list-56-one-room-schoolhouse-and.html

Update: The scene in Christy is on page 80, the first day at school. The boy is called Creed Josiah Allen and has a racoon under his desk which escaped. In German overalls is translated to "Overall" (although it would mean coveralls). And the missing teeth are not mentioned. Not much of interest in that scene. Most boys are naughty. But I'm still reading.

Update 2: Although I have only found that one scene online, I found another scene on page 115. 12 yo Issak , the oldest son (of another family) wore as usual worn and patched overalls, very worn shirt and sturdy shoes which are ways too big. Not sure how this written in English.

No comments: