Thursday, May 14, 2020

Hellzapoppin'


Musical film, Oscar nominated
Year: 1941
Year in film: 1940s ?
Country: USA
Who in bibs: Frankie ~26 ?
Available on DVD: yes
I own: no
Bib occurrence: low+ ?
Rating: 3/10 ?
Rating: ***
Comment: I think it's Frankie Manning (dancer from The Harlem Congeroo Dancers) dancing Lindy Hop (Swing style). Taken from a colorized clip I found on YouTube. Based on a 1930s Broadway musical. So setting could be the 1930s or earlier. Dance was invented in the late 20s.

As announced, I recently found this on an 1998 webring/site by Bibby Yoe

https://biboverallsfilms.blogspot.com/2020/05/info-1251-1990s-overalls-websites.html

He had a page called "Music and overalls". Original idea from a Swiss friend. Not to be confused with musicians in overalls.
I only have seen the movie at very high speed. Probably most of interest is this short dancing scenes. Probably no or few other scenes of farmers?
Lots of infos. Available via archive.org (search via oocities).

Southern music of the 30s is maybe sort of "overalls music" but there were other, slower music like Jazz and Blues. I have to do more research. Maybe there's even better music. Usually, I don't posts movies with just men, but the topic is interesting.
I also have some other posts about dancing in bibs and other movements (see topics page on top). There are also movies, mainly with a barn dance. Also in The Waltons, some few dancing in bibs.

Last post tagged new, as all new posts now will be. Was introduced next to repost to differ from the manual older re-uploads.

No comments: