Monday, April 27, 2020

Rediscovering Hinkletown - A Prairie Ghost Town

Video documentary. Unreleased ?
-Year: 2008 *
-Year in film: 1943
-Country: USA
-Who in bibs: girl ~9,13. boys 9-16
-Available on DVD: no ?
-I own: no
-Bib occurrence: often ?
-Rating:  7/10 ?
-Rating: *******
-Comment: At least one young girl, a teen girl and several younger and at least 3 much older boys in blue and hickory striped bibs. 4 boys on one horse.

Official behind the scenes pics can be found on the hinkletown website (Iowa). Photos are copyrighted and no other screenshots or clips can be found.

I thought that I mentioned this movie or website before but I obviously didn't. I re-found it some few weeks ago, probably during research for my one-room schoolhouse story post.

Partly filmed in 2008 (in color?) and considered for a video release in 2010, I'm still not sure if this movie is completed. One of the movie makers told on a different blog that he was making a/the movie and book, I think it was in 2012 or 2010. There should be a movie series on Iowa Ghost towns (also including earlier periods like the Civil War). But I understood that (later or in 2007 ) a/the movie was locally shown, maybe at the town festival or because of the new History center in 2007. So either it isn't ready yet or only shown locally (like "The Summer of Walter Hacks", rating 8).

There are also other titles, like "May Day at Hickory Ridge", what seems to be the same movie or this is a movie subtitle or chapter name. It's also possible that he renamed the movie (maybe once more) or still collecting money. There are also other ghost town projects (in Iowa) and elsewhere. But I don't have the time to check them all. Mostly they are western-like anyway.

Directed by T.L. (Terry) Folkerts. Old website, showing some more historic pics and link to the movie project

http://showcase.netins.net/web/hinkletown/

Is there someone from Iowa or even Hinkletown reading this and can tell some more?

No comments: