Monday, February 5, 2024

Book 139: Vos: Up the Hayloft Ladder

Finding new books on Google Books is quite difficult (maybe with advanced settings or more search terms) especially novels. But I like these farm memoirs. After finding the brand JC Penney in Clay Farmers, I did a search for "JC Penney overalls" and "Penney's overalls" (and I found the term "bibbed overalls" and also added 2023, 2022). So I found this 2013 biography with a long preview, spanning 8 decades.

A brief description on page 52 about the new denim pair from Penney's and going to school "relishing the smell and feeling the stiffness of new denim". A new smell story (smell outside school in fresh air I never thought of).

Another interesting scene on page later. Bathing once a week, I think this is set in the 60s, was common, but changing underwear (long ?) once a week as well I never heard of. At least he wore some. The girl behind him at school smelled his urine. (I wonder how often girls in a dress bathed and changed pants, but maybe she was a city girl. I wonder how she could smell urine with the smell of denim, manure and other odors).

I found some few more books. Willingham: "Life in the Country Through the Eyes of a Kid" (2022) has 12 mentions. And a handsome boy on the cover. There are several small b&w photos in the book but I think none showing bibs.

I'm currently reading more Sugar Creek Gang books on daytime and "Bristle Face" on evenings but not every day.


No comments: