Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Info: Issues with my Wiki, comparison

There are some disadvantages and new issues on my School TV Wiki, so I searched for other wikis or blogs (maybe also for this blog). There used to be many sites but many are defunct now. I also need a free hosting (wikifarm) and some functions like import.

Issues on wiki-site

Old TLS 1.1 which not works by default on recent Firefox and will be removed in upcoming versions. Can currently be  enabled manually in the settings.

Cons:

Everyone (incl. me) has to enter a captcha to view the wiki

Google can't find anything from it, I also can't add it to the wiki directory

No SSL/ old Wiki software

Ads/Cursor often move, so by clicking it, I lost my edit

Update: Even more complicated on Firefox Snap, again issues. So I don't use it anymore, see later posts


Free Wikis and their major cons

editthis: no pics

xwiki: currently no new registrations , import costs 5000 EUR

slimwiki: no export

miraheze: needs manual request for new wiki

Zoho Wiki: 50 MB webspace. Too few for this blog. Currently 42 MB pics+22 MB text, other limitations when free. 

Shoutwiki: currently no import

Wikidot: 300 MB, no import

doowikis: unknown features, obviously no import. unnamed page titles, unknown if hosting of pics on that server

ourproject (Mediawiki) import for ~100 pages only(?), everyone can edit, privileged needs setting up wiki software manually , only 10 MB (in total  ?!), seems abandoned, certificate error

fandom/wikia: if I remember correctly no import(?), too much ads, probably too strict tos

Nuclino: 50 documents (free)

Zenkit: 500 documents

notion.so : input of 1000 "blocks" (text, pic = 1 block each)

PBworks: 50 MB

confluence: 2 GB. but commercial. Maybe strict tos

 

Blogs:

Wordpress: too strict

tumblr: probably too strict, import/ export ?

jimdo: no import. free: jimdosite, 500 MB, German law. maybe strict community rules

ucoz: 400 MB, import?

Update:

https://biboverallsfilms.blogspot.com/2021/06/info-wikifarm-comparison-part-2.html

https://biboverallsfilms.blogspot.com/2022/12/info-issues-with-my-wiki-part-3.html

No comments: