Sunday, April 26, 2020

Update: My Dog Shep


Although freely available I bought this previously posted PD movie to obtain a  better quality. My first purchase after 1.5 years (see my purchase list).

I was a bit disappointed by the image quality and thought that's maybe the same as the high res on archive.org (maybe it is, I only checked the standard streaming resolution, pictured on the right). Movie res is 720x540 click for original resolution.

The quality of the DVD is much better (best viewed on a PC screen) but still quite bad (compared to many other remastered b&w movies). Some scenes are dark lit and from a distance.

Many bibs scenes and some of them are very good. Farm scenes, sitting scenes (distance), dressing and undressing scenes (girl is watching) and then swimming in underwear, barefoot, real farm work, hay scenes... what else could somebody want?

Good but typical drama plot for it's time: orphan-runaway-dog friend-happy-end-plot.

The 12 yo boy visits his cousin. He checked his suitcase and asked where are his overhauls. He said that he could wear a pair of his. The freckled cousin doesn't wear any in this film. The orphan brought a nigh shirt  but his cousin said they just undress for sleeping (not shown).

A good movie, previously rated 6(-7), I think I have to give even 7-(8). It can't be compared to modern color movies but maybe you can't expect much more for this old movie from 1946.

The DVD is RC0 and there is at least one other DVD version. I can't say anything about that, but I think it's most likely the same quality. And maybe OOP anyway.

Main entry at

https://biboverallsfilms2.blogspot.com/2020/04/my-dog-shep.html

Update: Although my 2012 DVD from Alpha Video is better than the archive.org version (but still quite poor), I now have seen a clip with a much better image quality, looking remastered (at least the pics and preview clip). VCI Entertainment offer a double feature DVD (2015) with another unrelated Shep movie. There's also a DVD from Nobility Studios. I can't say about that quality and if it's a DVDr. The 4 feature Angel Dog compilations should have a poor quality.

Also see new pic on the main entry.

No comments: