Saturday, May 5, 2018

Story 146: Feed and flour sacks overalls and underwear - Great Depression

1a34169r3c30739r

I knew that they made dresses out of flour sacks and I've read that some boys in the summer didn't wear underwear under their overalls. Now, I've read that they made underwear and overalls out of feed or flour sacks in the 1930s.

Obviously, underwear mainly for girls and little kids. The flour sacks often had brands and so were dyed and washed often to become smoother. I don't know how common this was and haven't found good pics except these ones from loc.gov.

I haven't found any bibs or underwear made out of sacks in movies although there are some underwear and undressing scenes like in To Kill a Mockingbird, The Waltons (I think in season 7). Maybe The Waltons weren't poor enough or they didn't had feed sacks because they didn't have much livestock (one cow, and chickens).

Also no good novels. Some few mentionings and a poem. It's more likely that boys didn't had any underwear in the summer.

/2015/01/05/books-41-several-expenditures-overalls-underwear/

No comments: