Sunday, October 8, 2017

Book 66: Ben Logan: The Land Remembers

Today, I searched for one-room schoolhouses. I previously found (next to the well known movies and series like LHOTP) pics and books (even describing the smell of new overalls). By coincidence, I stumbled upon this 1975 autobiography by Wisconsin born Ben Logan who died in 2014.

On the snippet view on Google Books is a nice discription of the sound of the stiff pant legs, when a boy walked to the blackboard in new bibs. 3 boys (brothers) depictured in bibs on the cover (of some editions).

Although there's obviously only this one direct mentioning, I ordered this book. (Will take some time to arrive and to read).

I have just finished a Western book featuring a blonde boy, but no bibs mentionings. Currently, I'm re-reading the Sheriff Ben "Danny" books.

Update: I mainly read the chapter about the school. Also about the smell of "new clothes" and "soap".

Update 2: I have read half of it. A bit disappointing. Not that bad, but it's mainly about farm stuff and philosophy.

Update 3: Completely read. Quite poor, reminds me of "Farmer Boy" by Laura Ingalls Wilder and other books describing the seasons and general work on a farm, often starting with winter.

p. 39 damp knees - crawling mud

138 taking out watch from bib pocket (high bibbed)

183 shop smell new clothes

195 school (one-room community chapter) best scene, see above ("somebody sawing wood ?")

246 in best bib and tucker (farm smell)

No comments: