Friday, December 4, 2015

Book 53: W. O. Mitchell: Who Has Seen the Wind

whohasseenthewind2

I have finally completed this famous Canadian novel about a prairie childhood. I've got the longer edition from McClelland & Stewart 330 pages but no illustrations. The hayloft cover art is a painting from William Kurelek taken from the 1976 illustrated edition. The pic is from the 1977 movie (rating 8).

There are rather few mentionings of bibs and the main character (Brian Sean) is very young except at the end. 4 yo at the beginning, 6 yo at page 31, 7 at p. 162, almost 11 at p. 199 and almost 15 at p. 291.

One good line at page 17 that his mother likes to see a kid in bibs. I hoped to read much more like that.

P. 18 he doesn't want to wear a potato sack

p.19 seen wearing overhawls

p. 31 another 6yo in overall pants + sleeveless shirt

p. 138 (6yo) his bare bottom can be seen through a tear of his faded bibs (barefoot).

The novel is not bad but the movie is much better. I still don't own the expensive DVD. The movie is still on YouTube but in quite bad quality (see the updated movie entry).

1 comment:

RedHeadedBookLover said...

Hi fellow book lover! I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed reading your post! To say it is great (not just this post, all of yours!) is an understatement. You are really talented (:
Because of how much I loved this post I had to check out your blog and I couldn't help but follow you because your blog is both amazing and beautiful! I am so happy I came across your blog and I can't wait to read more from you, keep it up (:
By the way this comment is towards all of your blog posts because they are all equally amazing and incredible (: