Monday, July 27, 2015

Info 385: Blog design

blogbug

The blog design has changed but it wasn't me. Colours are different and the pics on the top posts getting smaller and smaller, therefor the top 10 pics and texts getting larger.

One of the problems is that the theme is no longer supported (for free) so you can't choose it for a blog anymore. I have chosen it as it has some advantages like wider right column, better text style and less bugs like no overlapping of texts into the background like the top clicks (like on my sailor suit blog). I wonder about the bugs for more than a year. Also the height of the header is very small here, so I have my header image as pic on the right.

Maybe I should choose the same theme like on my other blogs.

Now I see, that the background colors of all my blogs are blue like on my first blog.

Wordpress.com often change and experimenting with themes and other stuff for their paid wordpress.org customers.

Same for the stats.

Maybe I will wait until others reporting the problems. Or I will try to at least change the background.

So prepare for more changes.

Now I see that parts of the lists on top are missing like the A-Z list. Also the menu entries boys, girls and women. Maybe because the font is too large. Please use the tags on the right column for now. I try to fix this.

Saving and exporting the blog is also more difficult. You get the export data only per mail (and that only for my 2 older and bigger blogs including this). A guided blog export is $129.

I also encountered some problems with the paragraphs especially when editing old posts from my older blog.

Update: Now, about 15 minutes later the design is like before. Maybe it wasn't wordpress's fault just some browser, flash and java issues. But I have seen that there's an option for the top menue that only the recent pages should appear.

The other bugs and tiny pics are still there.

2 comments:

db1 said...

I do not seem to get those difficulties that you were noticing on the blog. The pictures for me are still the same size as always. The text may be larger, but that is the only change I have noticed.

Admin said...

Thanks for your response.

You can see the difference on the pic. And as said it was only for 15 minutes. And some other problems are only visible to me as admin. The top posts pics looking even smaller now. They were definitely larger.

Maybe some problems are discussed on the wordpress help forum. I had to check that several times before. Editing is also more difficult and buggy as they severly changed the way of blogging. Luckily there's still the old system but is complicated to handle. Occasionally there are also even some pics missing.

However the blog design is a minor issue as the content and pics databases are hopefully still intact.

The blog security export is not only harder to obtain but also divided in several files unlike before. I sometimes searching it offline and that's more difficult as well.