Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Stella Dallas (1925)



Silent drama starring Ronald Colman
-Year: 1925
-Year in film: 1920s ?
-Country: USA
-Who in bibs: boys
-Available on DVD: yes
-I own: no
-Bib occurence: low ?
-Rating:  4/10 ?
-Rating: ****
-Comment: Some (teen) boys and maybe men in bibs. Scene pictured is at 13 minutes.

Novel by Olive Higgins Prouty and there is also a 1937 and 1990 ("Stella") remake which are more famous. 1937 starring Barbara Stanwyck, 1990 starring Bette Midler. But I haven't checked the other versions yet. The 1990 version seems to be set in the 1990s.

Originally I searched for other movies starring Jack Murphy (1911-1962, "Peter Pan (1924)"), see my sailor suit blog rating 5). I only have checked this silent film briefly. It's in the Public Domain (not on archive.org yet, but on YouTube (in a bad quality, embedded below). 106 minutes, officially released on a DVD-r. The DVD quality seems better (but you can't expect much more due to it's age).

There are two younger boys, including Jack Murphy, I think in night shirts, maybe not in bibs. I like classic movies, but maybe silent movies are not for everyone. Directed by Henry King.

Rating 3-4 for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDRELb9Z2RA

No comments: