Friday, July 27, 2012

Book 19: Bert Langeberg: Growing Up Poor, etc

I bought this book about 3 weeks ago and have read 118 of the 174 pages. The cover depicting the author (born 1939) in 1944 in bibs, who had German ancestors. The text is copyrighted 2007, but maybe published in 2011. Only 2 very brief mentioning of wearing his worn overalls (young author) and another boy in "coveralls", not sure if real coveralls or a synonym for overalls (yet).

Some quite funny and some interesting farm stories, and some scenes even remind me of "The Waltons" but I don't like this book so far. Just another farm childhood memoir.

And I can't see that he was poor. In contrary, he had enough to eat and obviously much fun. He talked about some accidents he had to face and a bit of the farm life. I know how they slaughtered chicken these days, but why doing this on cats and even birds the same way? He also described too much of world events like politics, space missions and what exactly 4-H is. Maybe some folks in Europe don't know 4-H but it could be said in one sentence.

The book has some tiny b&w pics, but often it's unclear what they show (relatives ?). The pics are uncaptioned and might be unrelated and later PD pics. Some few pics of the family, including one bit more of the cover pic.

The book is available as a very cheap PDF (and other ebook formats) download, but I choose the 5x more expensive book on demand as I don't like reading online.

I also bought "Some Things That Stay" (movie rating 8, main character a teen girl, but also boy and teen boy in bibs) but will read it after that.

I'm also reading "Something Wicked This Way Comes" (Ray Bradbury), movie also rating 8, for more than 5 years (I don't remember any bib scenes yet) but I somehow don't like the novel and read other books in between.

Something British also here:

A girl in light blue bibs in "A Boy Called Woof: Back in the Doghouse". One of my favourite British series. Sadly, no pic yet. I think I have some parts on VHS

Update: The rest of the book is even worse. OK it's his biography. But I expect more farm, childhood (and bib scenes). He also often jumps with the years (some few years back and forth).

No comments: