Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Info 117: Picasa Album limitations, bugs

Maybe this is of interest for other bloggers.

Picasa Web Album has space for 1000 pics (per blog, without paying additional fees). Since some few weeks ago there is a "blogger - Picasa issue" with problems uploading pics. It doesn't work properly if you upload from within a blog, then each pic will generate a separate album with one pic (or the amount of pics from that post) only.
I noticed that soon and upload pics manually to the album first. I think this is still a bug and Google still can't solve this problem (among lots of others).
The known issue had been transfered to the Picasa help site.
Luckily I had few problems recently (still the blog search doesn't work properly, especially not on my newer blog).

I also wondered that at 900 pics Picasa automatically created another new empty album. It's still possible to upload more than 900 pics on the other one. I first thought that all pics would be lost. It's also not possible to save or download an album. (Of course I have the pics on my HD but it would be a lot of work to reupload and put them in each post).

I'm also not sure if Google will delete older pics, if not viewed for a period of time. I try to prevent this by starting a slide show from time to time.
It's also not possible to show the most viewed pics except for checking each pic manually.

Service could be much better, but I recently saw again also problem with other free blog hosters (including not accessable due to maintenance or server overloads). However, at the next big problem, I move my blogs.
They might have enough people, but instead of solving problems, they obviously prefer checking out new things which cause additional problems.
They will loose more customers like this.

No comments: