Monday, October 31, 2011

Follow Me, Boys!



Disney scouting film staring Kurt Russell
-Year: 1966
-Year in film: 1930
-Country: USA
-Who in bibs: boy ~12
-Available on DVD: yes
-I own: yes
-Bib occurrence: low   
-Rating:  7/10 *        
-Rating: *******
-Comment: A boy in light blue bibs (pictured) at the first part of the movie. I don't know his name (it's not the young Kurt Russell). Also boys in historic scout uniforms and hats of the 1930s. This is a suggestion from Felix' (deleted blog). I have seen this movie many years ago and this is probably the best film about boy scouts. And it's also one of my favourite movies (perhaps I will even buy it on DVD as I only have an incomplete VHS recording in bad quality and haven't seen it on TV for years).
But I think few bib scenes, so "only" rating 7. Also starring Fred MacMurray, Vera Miles, Lillian Gish and Duane Chase ("The Sound of Music (1965)", see that entry with grey green sailor suit and good Lederhosen on my other blog rating 8).

 Update: Now I have finally bought the DVD.

About 3 rather short bib scenes at the beginning (at 3-6 minutes, 17 and 22), but they are quite good (showing front, back and side view). The movie is 2h06 long. At 1h34 the setting turned into 1944 including some war scenes like POW and tanks even involving the boys which are now other kid actors (I wonder why this on a Disney family film). At 1h50 it's set in 1950. Some scenes are very good, including the scout uniforms, but maybe half of this film is rather boring. I expected a bit more, but it's a good entertainment. Some other interesting scenes at 32, 35, 39, 47, 50, 56, 1h07, 1h18, 1h34, 1h36, 1h49 and 1h59. One sailor in a sailor suit at 1h49, but no need for tagging. Very brief scene.

I own the UK RC2 PAL DVD, English language only, English subtitles, no extras. Image quality is good. The main song is often heard and quite a catchy tune. Novel by Mackinlay Kantor.

Originally rating 7, now maybe 5-7.

No comments: