Monday, September 12, 2011

American Splendor


Film about and with comic strips
-Year: 2003
-Year in film: 1970s/1980s ?
-Country: USA
-Who in bibs: woman, girl ~ 12ys
-Available on DVD: yes
-I own: no
-Bib occurence: low  
-Rating:  2/10   
-Rating: **
-Comment: I think this is Hope Davis as Joyce Brabner (pictured right) in 2 short scenes at a stage play (also vomitting) in dark blue bibs and also in dark red or similar bibs in a comic bookstore (but bibs hardly to see). And a blond girl in also a very short scene at the end of the film (I think Madylin Sweeten). I've seen this movie completely and I think this is the worst I've ever seen (and I like comic strips). Besides the few bib scenes, I don't like the (main) actors at all. Looks old and ugly. However the plot (biography) is not so bad, about comics and having cancer. Also one quite funny scene (with a black cat on a bed). Weird film (rated R) with lots of flashbacks, comic scenes and TV scenes. And this was even nominated for an Oscar. Bad luck. Today I've also seen one of the worst Heimatfilms. There are also other films featuring comics (Lost Heaven, aka The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys), also with bibs, see that entry. One film is even worse, but only because of an annoying girl. Here rating 2 (only because of the girl). First billed are Superman, Batman and Robin (Josh Hutcherson).

No comments: