Thursday, October 7, 2021

Book 110: Jim Heynen: The Youngest Boy

Today, I have received this 2021 book published by Holy Cow! Press. Heynen is one of my favourite authors. I was a bit disappointed of "The Boys' House" (2001) but "The One-Room Schoolhouse" is perfect. Smart boys, especially the youngest, sometimes mean, very good farm setting (of the 1950s).

The new book is thin (paperback, 127 pages), the illustration by Tom Pohrt are quite poor (same as the cover), some are just animals, and no overalls. On the rear cover, there's a colorized photo of the author aged ~10 in 1950 wearing hickory striped bibs (headshot, handsome).

I have only read the introduction and the first story by now. The stories are very short, even shorter than usual, so around 1 page. And there's always a lesson told. The farm boys 1st appeared in The Man Who Kept Cigars in His Cap (1979). I think this book is rare, but that story is also in "The Boys' House".

I will update this as soon as there's notable content.

https://biboverallsfilms.blogspot.com/2011/05/book-3-jim-heynen-one-room-schoolhouse.html

No comments: