Friday, May 17, 2019

Book 88: Michele R. Webb: My Folks - And The One-room Schoolhouse - A Treasury Of One-room School Stories Shared By Capper's Readers

Few days ago I thought, that I knew all plots. But imagine this. A boy at an one-room schoolhouse had to stand next to the oven until his overalls caught fire or at least smoke rose up. (Page 64). 2 or 3 more mentionings of bibs, unfortunately only snippet views on Google Books and no "search inside" on Amazon.

A general description on page 2, that boys wore bibs and heavy shoes and one scene on page 35 set in 1928 that a boy was proud of the bibs from Sears Roebuck (I think on Christmas).

Co-author Diana J. Edwardson Persell. Capper Press (and Grit). 1990s. There are also other books in the "My Folk" series (partly other authors). Most or all set in Kansas during the Great Depression as well. Most are also about bibs but I haven't found notable scenes. In Back to the Basics, a preschool-boy talks about bibs on the floor and that he didn't wear underwear. 1 or 2, I can't find on Google books others not on Amazon.

Update: I missed the part, that the shoes squeaked when walking. (Not at school but maybe there as well later). I had the noises of the overalls fabric when walking (search stiff pant legs, one-room schoolhouses, tag sound).

My Folks and the Family Farm

My Folks and World War II

My Folks' Depression Days

My Folks Came in a Covered Wagon

My Folks Claimed the Plains - A Treasury of Pioneer Stories

My Folks Back to the Basics - A Treasury of Outhouse Stories

My Folks and the Civil War

No comments: