Monday, May 13, 2019

Book 87: Robert Burch: Tyler, Wilkin, and Skee

After long research, I finally found a book, that I have ordered. Sounds interesting. 3 brothers in bibs set in 1930s Georgia. Most parts can be found on Google Books, but I only checked the bibs scenes there. Illustrations by Don Sibley.

The youngest boy is 7yo. Obviously they don't like wearing bibs as the town boys at school wear pants. Also described that they should not wear the dirty bibs as mom ironed clean ones. And new pairs as present on Christmas.

Robert Burch wrote some more books, most with same time and setting. But maybe less of interest (to me), at least 2 with tomboys as main characters (Queenie Peavy and 2x Ida Early) but also have boys in bibs (at least on the covers). I might check the other books later.

The 1987 TV movie "The Incredible Ida Early" also has at least a teen girl in bibs (rating 5). Still on my "rare movies list". I must have seen a screenshot long time ago and have to search for it. I thought of a milking white girl, but it's from "The Sweetest Gift" (rating 6). I think a white teen girl in the novel (or cover) but a black actress in the movie.

As usual more infos later when book received.

Update: Now completely read. Quite poor. No more notable scenes. At the end, the 2nd youngest putting a dollar bill in his top pocket. 3 brothers and the youngest one is smart. Good idea. But could have been much better. In Soup there are 2 friends. Much better book series.

No comments: