Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Story 150: Long johns, union suit, Our Gang, Sears


 A bit off-topic, but vintage clothes are always interesting. Long johns (and underwear) are rarely shown in movies or series, especially kids. And very rare in combination with overalls (and often you don't know what's underneath). I'm currently searching the late "Our Gang" movies (I think rather few actors in bibs, mainly Robert Blake with a small bib like in Waldo's Last Stand). Yesterday, I found Alfalfa in long Johns in "Came the Brawn" (1938), pic 2. He wore boxing shorts over them which were pulled down by the opponent boy, also rear view. Soon also on my shiny shorts blog. Pic 3 showing him in "Reunion in Rhythm". But he rarely wore bibs.

Some movies here with long johns are The Waltons (mainly John, Jim-Bob also shown in underwear), Looking For Miracles, Big City (2007) and mainly some other Westerns, I think LHOTP and The Cowboys (1972). I have to check for more (movies and books), maybe some are on my Western or sailor suit blog (+blogroll) .

A good source are the Sears catalogues. Pic 1 from 1935. Also some boys (and men) pictured in different overalls, I think good pics in the 1938 catalogue. I also found a girl in bibs there spring and summer 1938. Pics are on flickr (but mainly copyrighted). Some also on my Google Photos album, previously Picasa).

Update: One girl in red long johns in Cedarmont Kids: Songs of America (“She’ll Be Comin’ ‘Round the Mountain”).

I have some more posts about that

/2015/01/05/books-41-several-expenditures-overalls-underwear/

/2018/10/01/story-151-swimming-in-long-johns-our-gang/

https://biboverallsfilms.blogspot.com/2023/01/update-maysville-2021-rating-6-7.html

https://biboverallsfilms.blogspot.com/2023/12/milltown-pride-rating-10.html

No comments: