Thursday, May 26, 2016

Book 58: Oswald J. Smith: The Adventures of Andy McGinnis

I recently bought this 1945 Christian children's book in German translation. One other German cover showing a boy in bibs riding a bull (similar to the US cover). My 70s paperback edition have several b&w illustrations by Walter Rieck showing a boy with dark curls in bibs. Unfortunately no mentionings of bibs. 94 pages. Already completely read but I forgot almost everything.

The setting is in Smith's childhood, so around 1900 and is about a tall farm boy from Ontario who went to school barefooted with a crow (I have seen pics with that on other book covers). He's 10 yo at the beginning, 15 in the middle and 16 at the end and has a brother two years younger. One of his older sisters died when he was 15.

I think a typical adventure book for it's time with robbers, some drama and religious contents. Not bad but I hoped for more.

At least there's a list of other Christian books in it from this German publisher. Maybe more luck there.

No comments: