Sunday, March 6, 2016

Info 456: Retirement of Picasa

exclusive-bibs-missouri-1943

Announced since 2011 there's now finally an end for Picasa. I used it some days ago but read it by coincidence elsewhere. Google start to shut down on March 15 and on May 1st there's the complete end. They transfer all pics to (the cloud ?) "Google Photos" connected to Google+ (or already did) and will make an additional archive as Google Photos don't support all functions like captions, comments, slide shows, Picasa followers etc.

I used Picasa Web Albums here mainly for webfinds (especially the farm FSA pics from loc.gov) but also other pics, own pics, animations and PD pics. Also all pics on my old blogger/blogspot blogs.

Google say that all links would later still work but who knows if all works without problems and for how long. And I won't have access to these pics and data anymore.

Luckily I don't blog anymore with Google and I don't know if I will use Google Photos. Pics (and posts) before March 19 2002 were transferred from blogspot and Picasa and I hope hosted now on Wordpress. (Of course I have backups but it would be lots of work to upload or repair all pics or links).

Pics on Wordpress have some disadvantages, by default they are cropped to fit the page and I can't upload vids or audio. There are no albums here and of course it reduces my webspace here. Also stats and comments were elsewhere.

I advise everyone to check if he's in need of downloading (also from other Picasa and blogspot blogs). My albums are in my blogroll titled "My blog" below the other blogroll on the right coloumn. Link for big size (4000 px) of my exclusive pic above at

https://picasaweb.google.com/104516475651903416726/BiboverallsfilmsBlogspot#5816311429497565634

No comments: