Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Update: The Summer of Walter Hacks

summerofwalterhacks2summerofwalterhacks3

The bad thing first: This 2009 movie is still not available on DVD and there is or was no plan for a release. People should watch it "on the big screens". So there's no chance for someone outside the US for watching this movie. Very sad. I can only hope that they change their minds at some time (when everybody has seen it in this region). Probably video sharing sites and DVD copies are one the main reasons to not publish such Independant movies.

I always considered rechecking this movie that I found by coincidence on IMDb 4 years ago, but I couldn't find it myself on my blog. I was pretty sure, that this must be set in the 1930s and I also couldn't find it by trying some keywords. During preparation for my 1950s list I finally found it. Set in 1952 Vermont. Starring 11 and later 12 yo Henry Woodard (maybe son or grandson of the co-writer) as main character Henry and 12 yo Francesca Blanchard as Margaret. Both kids appear a bit older on most scenes. I think there's also an older brother but unknown if in bibs as well or other actors.

Very good scenes also cycling scenes and farm scenes, obviously milking (pic 2). Both pics are from the official extended trailer. Well worth watching just that.

Previously rated 7, maybe even higher. I like it although it's in b&w and would buy it on DVD. I also found another movie not on DVD (color, entry coming soon).

Main entry

/2011/01/23/the-summer-of-walter-hacks/

Update 2: There was a DVD announced in 2020, but still isn't in end 2022.

3 comments:

dungareesmovies said...

Looks like a good movie. Shame it isn't available to buy.

Another suggestion for you. Some short scenes with Tabitha Lupien in dungarees in Rent-a-Kid (1995).

db1 said...

Another suggestion is the tv series The Torkelsons which became Almost Home in its second season. Series ran for two seasons and 33 episodes. Boy actors Paige Gosney and Lee Norris wear overalls. Also a couple of girls and a woman in bibs as well. The overalls wearing episodes are mostly found in the first season of the show. The entire series can found on youtube.

Admin said...

Thanks. I think I even have that party on TV but thought that there are too few scenes of the little girl. But it's possible that I missed some scenes as I only remember one scene where you can hardly see her. I will check it the next broadcasting.