Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Books 28: several (f/m)

Robert Newton Peck: Soup Ahoy, Trig, and some others.

I recently bought Soup Ahoy (hardcover, illustrations by Charles Robinson) and ordered Trig (same author, at least 2 boys in bibs, one with cuffed-up legs and barefoot, but main character is a girl (not in bibs on the cover)).

I only have read 1.5 chapters of Soup Ahoy and it's not as good as the other 2 books I own with other illustrators, (also see Book 1: Soup).

The illustrations of Soup Ahoy are in that style as on the cover (hardcover) The author in the 30s and his friend Soup are often shown in bibs; in Soup Ahoy also one skinny dipping pic. There's also a photo of the grown up author but not in bibs. Trig also seems quite interesting. It's also a series, but 4 parts only. I will update both later. There's also Little Soup and other books of Peck.

Other interesting books I found (not bought):

-Peck: Nine Man Tree (cover showing a shirtless teen boy in bibs) adventure drama.

-Jaqueline Wilson: Nobody's Perfect (teen girl in bibs)

-Carol Lynch Williams: My Angelica (teen girl in bibs)

-Ouida Sebestyen: On Fire (12 yo boy, set in 1911)

-Louise Dickinson Rich: Summer at High Kingdom (teen boy in bibs)

-(To check: Movie and novel Ouida Sebestyen: Words By Heart. At least black farmers in bibs. Plot about a woman. No women or boys/girls known yet in bibs in either book or movie).

"To Kill A Mockingbird" I now have read more than half of it. No more bibs scenes. And I don't like that book.

I also updated Mary Ellen Walton. Season 4 nearly completed. One more pic with pigtails. Season 5 and 3 to check next. I think I also will add entries of Jason, Jim-Bob and Elizabeth.

 

Update: The illustrations in TRIG are very kidlike and I don't like them. Cover image is much better. At least showing some kids and men in bibs. Also describes the bibs of one of the boys. Tomboy Trig not wearing bibs by now. I've read half of it. Separate entry soon.

No comments: