Friday, March 1, 2013

Book 25: André Gould: A Summer's Exile

This gay novel is about a friendship between two 12 yo farm boys of the 1950s. Many bibs scenes. 1996 novel; 141 pages.

I considered buying this novel for many years and now finally did and I have read it within few days. Very interesting. Few, mainly harmless erotic scenes; it's rather about a friendship and admiration.

The cover showing both boys (looking older to me) in bibs lying on straw at a hayloft. One boy with his bib down. But only the main character, a blond "ugly", a bit depressive boy with sticking out ears wearing bibs (same pair each day). The other dark haired feminine boy who moved to a neighboring farm is wearing jeans in the novel. Sadly no illustrations inside but reminds me of that in the "Soup" novels.

First I wasn't sure about the time setting, as this rural story is timeless, but once Eisenhower was mentioned.

Bibs scenes are often mentioned thrughout the complete novel, so I haven't written down the best scenes. There are some skinny dipping and undressing scenes. But somehow I expected more. I think at least one or maybe both boys won't be gay if grown up. The main character thought about committing suicide (even described how; drowning (in bibs??)) and thinks it's wrong being gay.

I definitely will read this again but I have lots of other to read first. And to those who like girls, this plot is also possible between girls. Books with girls also coming next.

No comments: