Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Book 18: Sterling North: Rascal

I bought this novel many weeks ago and have read it almost completely.

I don't like this book. I couldn't recognize the good content and in fact almost none of the scenes of the movie (starring Bill Mumy, rating 6).

Only one brief scene mentioning wearing his overalls and legs rolled up above the knees (page 39). Some scenes mentioning being barefoot and skinny dipping and girls have to wear clothes for swimming.

The main character Sterling is much younger and smaller in the book and there are even the original 1963 illustrations by John Schoenherr published by E. P. Dutton in the recent edition. One of the few simple drawings might show him in bibs but sideview and hardly to see (hands in his pockets).

I own the 2005 Puffin reissue, paperback, blue photo of a raccoon on the cover, 189 pages. Silver Newbery Medal.

I think this Disney movie is probably only famous because of Bill Mumy and the Disney style.

I considered buying some other of my favourite movies and checked this blog until rating 7 (incl) and wanted to buy "De rode zwaan" (rating 10) or "The Enid Blyton Secret Series" (rating 7) but both seem to have very few or no notoable bib content. So I will buy something else.

No comments: