Sunday, May 22, 2011

Info 32: Historic farm bib overalls images FSA

FSA-PD. Zoomable


Yesterday I searched the web for sharecropper images. I found good images I never saw before on different websites from "America from the Great Depression to World War II: Black-and-White Photographs from the FSA-OWI, 1935-1945" . FSA means "Farm Security Administration-Office of War Information". I watched 5000 of 9100+ images but forgot my filter or keyword settings, so couldn't continue later. Today I watched 55.000 images (555 pages with thumbnails) of 175318 images in total. And that are only images from here with farm content. There are other on the web (mining, cotton mill, immigrants, Indians and genealogic). Some images are empty (not digitized yet), drawings or well known or not interesting images and later more and more of low res. Images can be searched via keywords, but most images I found (50-70 %) are untitled, untagged, uncredited and with no exact date. So I watched them all and made a slideshow of my favourite images. Especially school images are series with 10 pics+ (search for image # 8a... and click neighboring#). Not all are bib pics, but lots of. Also few girls and women. All images can be found here (most of them also in big high res TIFFs):

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?sp=1&co=fsa&st=grid

Slideshow:




All images believed to be in Public Domain (US Government) "No restrictions known" but images might also be copyrighted, so reuse with your own responsibility. Photographers of piv above: top left: Carl Mydans?, bottom left: Russell Lee, top right: Arthur Rothstein, bottom right: unknown. Also pics from John Vachon (also blog title image).

If I add images later, here is link of the picasa album.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104516475651903416726/FSAOWIBibOveralls#

Picasa doesn't work anymore, see the google photo albums on my blogroll

No comments: