Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Night of the Hunter


Classic b/w Thriller starring Robert Mitchum
-Year: 1955
-Year in film: 1930s
-Country: USA
-Who in bibs: John 12 , man
-Available on DVD: yes
-I own:yes, TV recording
-Bib occurrence: medium
-Rating:  7/10
-Rating: *******
-Comment: Billy Chapin (pictured, right with Sally Jane Brude) in dark, old style bibs. I think most know this famous movie. I saw this many years before. Perfect film with much suspense, perhaps as good as To Kill a Mockingbird (see this entry). But with fewer bib scenes and only of the boy at the first half of the film. Here are also authentic one-piece undergarment seen. I found this film searching imdb with keywords farm and boy, there 3rd entry. Some films are best in b/w. Although few bib scenes, I rate 7. Also in bibs: Robert Mitchum in a short scene.

Edit: I saw this complete movie recently. Bibs are of old fabric with bad seams. And a bit too big, or the boy is too thin. I thought of change the rating to 5-6, but I leave it at 7, due to this good film. There are not so many good b/w films with bibs. To Kill A Mockingbird is much better.

Edit 2: There was also a color remake in 1991 starring Richard Chamberlain and a boy and girl in bibs. But I don't know that movie and I don't think that this is even half so good, but have to check. Now I have also an enry of the remake (also with the young girl in bibs and an oversized teen boy. Rating 4/10). Title "Night of the Hunter (1991), without "The".

Chapin died in 2016. More pics on the update. New tag: Sitting M.

/2011/09/27/night-of-the-hunter-1991/

/2017/01/17/update-the-night-of-the-hunter/

No comments: