Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Places in the Heart



Farm film starring Sally Field. 2 Oscars
-Year: 1984
-Year in film: 1930s
-Country: USA
-Who in bibs: Boy Frank ~9 ys, girl ~7, 3 boys, men
-Available on DVD: yes
-I own: yes, partly TV recording
-Bib occurence: low *
-Rating:  6/10 
-Rating: ******
-Comment: Yankton Hatten (I think, pictured) in medium blue bibs. Looks like that the suspenders are fixed with buttons and not with braces as they are a bit longer. I found this film by coincidence as I search for another "heart" film, although I had seen this cover before. I watched about the first half of this film. Very good farm film. I discovered only very few bib scenes. Most of the time the boy is wearing pants with suspenders. I wonder why and why there are bibs on the cover. I think also at least one man in bibs. I like those films and also good setting (cotton farm) looks very realistic. The house reminds me of The Waltons. I have to watch the complete film the next TV broadcasting. Rating only 6 for now due to few bib scenes.
Update: Also his film sister in bibs later in this film (thanks to Felix and his pics). But I assume also few scenes and she is very young. So rating 6 stays.

Update 1/2012: I now have seen almost the complete movie, now missing the beginning which I don't remember and have to check again.
I haven't noticed any girls there. Some (mostly) black men in bibs.

One black boy ~10 (cotton picker) and 2 supporting acting boys (pic below on the right).
Main character Frank also dancing in bibs (with a jacket), cotton picking and sleeping on cotton. Also a young woman with a sailor collar (not on my other blog yet).

Cotton picking reminds me of "A Painted House" (I don't like the even younger (looking) boy and the bibs there) and "Honkytonk Man" (more the novel).
"Places in the Heart" is in some way even better, interesting plot set in the 1930s, blind man (John Malcovitch) and his taunted ropes for orientation, hurting while picking the cotton, etc.

Rather few bib scenes. So leaving rating 6-7.




No comments: