Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Summer Holiday (1948)


Musical starring Mickey Rooney
-Year: 1948
-Year in film: ~1900  
-Country: USA
-Who in bibs: Tommy ~  10 ys   
-Available on DVD: yes *
-I own: no
-Bib occurence: medium ?
-Rating:  5/10 ?
-Rating: *****
-Comment: Jackie "Butch" Jenkins (1937-2001, pictured) in light brown bibs. Also in a very good short sailor suit and of course lots of others in historical clothing of the 1900s.
I'm glad to find some clips of this early Technicolor musical and also consider buying it. However I assume few or medium bib scenes (probably more than sailor suit scenes) as he is not the main character. But I like this freckled kid actor. He also starred 1947 in "My Brother Talks to Horses" (b&w, see that entry, rating 4 incl. farm content).
Perhaps there are even more actors in bibs. 
I have to check and update this entry. For more infos about this movie, sailor suit pics and another clip, see it's recent entry on my sailor suit blog. Rating 5 for bib scenes (and 7 for sailor suit) for now.

2 comments:

mel said...

Whatever you do, don't by a copy of this film. Being a great lover of 1940s and 1950s MGM musicals I expected a film with this enticing title and produced by Arthur Freed to be a wonderful experience. Far from it. It was quite the most boring musical I've ever seen from MGM, the songs lacklustre and unmemorable (not one of them making any kind of impact), annoying performances from Mickey Rooney and Butch Jenkins, soporific performances by the rest of the cast, unimaginative dances, a plot I couldn't find any empathy with - I could go on and on. The only decent thing about the whole movie was the splendid photography. But that didn't make up for a most mediocre film.

Admin said...

Thanks for your opinion.
But maybe most readers of my blog (including myself) are mainly interested in actors and their clothes rather than in the quality of the movie, the plot and the quality of the songs. The taste is also very different. Maybe you're right, but I bet there are even worse movies.
DVDs aren't much expensive, but I wait for a broadcasting.