Sunday, September 18, 2011

Info 89: Images, Google search

Yesterday, during research (for my other blog) I noticed the fact, that on Google image search someone will find an image belonging to this blog even of posts without images, if only I had an image linked within (not embedded).

That's very interesting. I don't want to use copyrighted and watermarked images from other websites. However links can be tracked back and I won't link to any websites. Of course I try to find pics by myself to prevent trouble.

There was also again a comment why not using high res pics. I mentioned that before, that movies and pics are copyrighted, even from DVDs you own (there had been a lawsuit recently) and low res is required to match the Fair Use law. You may find high res pics and complete movies elsewhere (if not already deleted).
I also don't like downloading movies or watching streams online in bad quality with ads. DVDs are not so expensive. And the few films I like, I'll buy.

See also other info posts, especially

/2011/05/info-23-images.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree about downloads. I have no intention of ever providing full downloads or links in any way. Infact you have cost me a fortune this week on Amazon buying bib overall movies I didn't have :P

As for screenshots, I couldn't find any definite information. Movie clips I can understand, as those are parts of the original work and would be copyright. I may re-evaluate my galleries if I find any more information regarding fair use. However, my blog is non-commercial and is specifically screenshots of only the dungaree scenes in the movies. So, we'll see.

Admin said...

Even more strictly if you read Google's TOS you aren't allowed to use any copyrighted content. I'm sure that single frame pics are copyrighted as well (except if hosted in some countries.) But 90-99% of blogs use contents from others. Same with YouTube. But at some time blogs or vids might get deleted or worse.

I wonder what DVDs you bought or like most. We seem to have a similar taste.